Design and Technology
In line with the National Curriculum, at Kew Riverside, our Design and Technology curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils have opportunities to;
- Learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems, both as individuals and as part of a team
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to evaluate, design and make high quality products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values
- Select appropriate tools and techniques with increasing accuracy for making a product, whilst following safe procedures
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others, following the iterative process
- Reflect on and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and its impact
- Apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
- apply the knowledge and skills learned in other subjects, particularly Maths, Science and Art.
- Capture personal interests through theme learning, ensuring that links are made in a cross curricular way, giving children motivation and meaning for their learning.
- Using the school allotment to cook with seasonal produce
- Trips to factories to see engineering in action
- Opportunities to take part in Science and Engendering events within the borough
- Links to secondary schools