Children all have a personal connection with music that is nurtured at Kew Riverside by our varied lessons and music-making opportunities. Music is taught weekly from Reception to Year 6 where children develop their skills in singing, percussion, recorders, brass instruments and keyboards. As children gain confidence in making music, they are also taught how to read music and express themselves through their own compositions. Each unit of work focuses on a composer or historical period of music, where children are exposed to a diverse range of styles from Mozart to Big Mama Thornton. Children are also encouraged to join the school choir, which meets weekly.
We use our own scheme of work that was designed specifically for Kew Riverside by a professional musician. It supports the requirements of the National Curriculum and guides children through their progression of skills from Reception to Year 6.
- Small group and individual singing and instrumental lessons available through Richmond Music Trust (families needing assistance are supported by the school)
- Visiting professional musicians in Year 4 for whole-class brass tuition
- Annual musical production in Year 5 and 6
- Annual Nativity and Carol Service
- School choir
- Singing in Community events such as Kew Sparkle, RMT Singing Festival at The Rose Theatre in Kingston